Tuesday, September 11, 2012

[Not-Advice] So you found out that you're pregnant...

Since I'm using this blog to stash my own "advice" e-mails for friends, they don't really start before the 12th week of pregnancy, but I figured I should create one for that first trimester and stick it here.  You know, just in case. 

First and Foremost, just to get this out of the way:
This blog is really just about what worked for me - it's a collection of things I heard (from my doctor, my family, well-meaning co-workers, etc.), so you should always do what works for you - especially what is safe and reasonable for you.  This is not meant to be a strict guideline.  I am not a doctor.  What worked for me may not work (or be safe) for you.  Don't be stupid, use common sense, and think. :-)  Hopefully my insights on my pregnancy and parenting life will help you think through your own.  Much love and all that jazz.

And now... the first trimester:
So first off, the whole way we count our weeks of pregnancy drives me up a wall.  That first trimester you're thinking "I'm X weeks pregnant, but it's only Y weeks from conception" any time you look things up.  It just gives me a headache.  And if you were charting when you got pregnant, then you have the added bonus of knowing exactly when you ovulated, and that just makes everything more interesting - especially if your due date based on that date doesn't match up with all the doctor charts, etc.  Try not to let it drive you too crazy.

And don't stress about your lifestyle before you found out you were pregnant - very little will harm the itty bitty egg during that phase, so unless your doctor TOLD you to be worried, don't be worried.

My suggestion is to pick up a couple of pregnancy books that jive with your personality - the "What to Expect" line is NOT the only option out there.  I REALLY liked the "Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy".  But really, I didn't read ANY pregnancy book cover-to-cover.  I looked up things that bugged me or that I had questions about.  Afterwards, I thought that it might have been nice to be better informed in the beginning, so next time I probably will try to read one cover to cover.  There are some things that it's really nice to know from the beginning.

That first trimester is hard - you're exhausted.  You might be nauseous - or if you're like me, you aren't throwing up but the thought of any raw vegetable makes you green and you feel just kind of unsettled.  Try NOT to go overboard on the carbs though - set some good habits now and they'll be easier to keep later, when that entire chocolate cake looks REALLY GOOD (and maybe then you'll be able to limit yourself to just a slice).  And even though you're tired, try to keep your activity level up just a little - so that it's not so hard to pick it BACK up when you get the energy back.  Walks are really nice, and have the added benefit of getting you out of the house, maybe even with your partner, giving you a chance to talk about how you're feeling (if they don't know how you're feeling, they can't help you).

Also, if you want to do progressive belly shots, now is the time to start.  We didn't - I'm not too sad about that, but I kind of wish I had.

My biggest piece of advice is actually to try not to get bogged down in all the advice - because people will bog you down with it.  And sometimes it will be offensive to you (for instance I had a friend (who happens to be someone that I like quite a lot) go off on me the night we told her we were expecting about making sure that I still had lots of sex with my husband, because, you know, he has NEEDS.  I am still pretty proud of myself for not telling her off, but really, that sort of thing is no one's business but yours (in conjunction with your partner and doctor/midwife/etc.)).  So when all the well-meaning advice comes your way, try to pick and choose what works for you and let go of what doesn't.  And try not to fight with your friends about it when it doesn't work for you - just let it go and change the subject.

No comments: