Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I am not a gardener.

I am not a gardener.  I say this because my mom looked at me the other day while I talked her ear off about my little 8x8 space that I call my garden and said "when you were little you hated gardening and you swore you would never grow up and become a gardener."

And then I look out into my mom's back yard, front yard, and container gardens, and back at her, and I say "I am not a gardener."

Because my mom is a gardener.  Me?  I just like to try to grow some things. 
And sometimes it works.  And sometimes it doesn't.  But I like it.  And mostly, I like growing FOOD.  I really believe in going local, organic, not eating things I can't recognize the ingredients list on, and other things like that.  But I'm not a fanatic about it (I still have a down home constant craving for Kleck's spicy mac n cheese, which I don't make as well as he does, for some unknown reason, for instance).

I figure, I buy this way when I can afford to do so, and when I can't, well, THAT'S OK.

And along the same lines, I like growing my own food.  I liked that last summer, even though none of my cucumbers ever made it to edible stages and my tomatoes tried to take over my patio, and I ripped out all the dead herbs not realizing they were perennials.  Oops.  Hey, at least I know what a perennial IS.

So, I am not a gardener, but this year, I hope I have some fun and some success, at growing some things.

No comments: